Master of Applied Computer Science (Course-based)
StFX offers a 2-year course-based Master's program in Computer Science.
About the MACS program
The MACS program is a course-based Master’s (full-time) completed over 2 years of full-time study. It is open to students with an undergraduate major in Computer Science, or the equivalent combination of courses. Students will take courses from various computer science sub-disciplines so they will be prepared to work in a variety of professional roles. Students will also have the option to complete an elective, project-based course in a workplace environment or a co-operative education option.
More information about the MACS is available on the Computer Science Department webpage.
- 4-year degree in Computer Science (or equivalent) with a minimum average of 70%. (Typically students will have completed at least 12 undergraduate courses in computer science. See the list of required courses here.
- Evidence of English proficiency if English is not your first language: Preferred test - IELTS 6.5 with no band below 6.
Note that graduate programs demand very strong English language skills. While IELTS 6.5 (no bands less than 6.0) is the minimum requirement, a higher IELTS score may strengthen the application.
Next intake: September 2023 (start date September 1, 2023). No January intake.
Application Deadline: May 1 for International students.
- Apply to StFX and pay the application fee. After you submit your online application and pay the application fee, you will receive your StFX Student ID Number by email within 2-3 business days. You need this number to complete the next step.
- Complete the Master of Applied Computer Science Supplemental Form. Include your StFX Student ID Number on the MACS Supplemental Application Form.
- Gather the supporting documents:
- Prepare a Statement of Intent. This statement should be 250 to 500 words outlining your qualifications for graduate school, your research interests, career goals, and reasons for applying to StFX specifically.
- Submit an English proficiency test if your first language is not English
- Request Reference letters: Provide your two references with the StFX Graduate Studies Reference Form. Your references should email the completed reference form directly to @email.
- Official transcripts: Submit an official transcript from each post-secondary institution attended. Transcripts must be sent directly from the issuing institution to the Admissions Office by mail or an official school email. Any transcript submitted directly by the student must be received in a sealed envelope from the issuing institution. Graduates of StFX do not need to provide a copy of their transcript from StFX. Transcripts in a language other than English should be provided in their original language, along with a certified translation into English. Your application will not be reviewed until all official transcripts are received.
- Submit documents:
- The Statement of Intent and English Proficiency Test results should be attached to one email and sent to the StFX Admissions Office firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Reference forms must be emailed to @email by your referees.
- Official transcripts should be sent electronically or through the post from the institutions you have attended.
Applications will not be reviewed until all supporting documents are received and the application fee is paid. Decisions will take approximately 6 weeks after all documents have been received.
717 Nicholson Tower
2329 Notre Dame Avenue
Antigonish NS B2G 2W5