About Human Kinetics
As a StFX Human Kinetics student, you’ll pursue a 4-year program that focuses on the human body and its intricacies relating to movement. The program includes a wide variety of academic and skill-based courses as well as community engagement opportunities. As such, our graduates emerge well-rounded and prepared for further education or kinetics-based careers.
Why Study Human Kinetics at StFX?
After graduation, you’ll be prepared to enter the workforce or apply to professional/graduate programs to continue your education. Due to our extensive community involvement, StFX has a notable reputation with employers: a benefit that often translates to post-graduation job opportunities.
Within the Human Kinetics program, there are many opportunities for students to streamline their education in order to develop specific skills. Several degree choices are available, and you can pursue Human Kinetics from an Arts or Science perspective. In the second year of study, students have the option to specialize in the following:
- Kinesiology: the most general pathway for (but not limited to) physiotherapy, occupational therapy, rehabilitation, athletic therapy, fitness training, and Master's/Ph.D. in Human Kinetics.
- Pre-Education: gives students the opportunity to complete teachables in subjects of their choice, including physical education.
- Health Sciences: designed as preparation for medicine, optometry, and dentistry.
- Human Nutrition: Human Kinetics students who minor in Human Nutrition may choose to enroll in a 5th year of study in order to complete an additional degree in Human Nutrition.
- Diploma in Engineering: Human Kinetics students who minor in Math may choose to enroll in a 5th year of study in order to complete a Diploma in Engineering.
- Sport Management: students take business and sport management courses that prepare them to work in sports communities and organizations (both recreational and elite).
5-year Concurrent Degree with Education: upon completion of all requirements for both Degrees, students would receive a BSc or BA degree (in Human Kinetics) and a BEd degree in Elementary or Secondary Education.
First Year at a Glance
In the first year of study, students are introduced to a broad range of Human Kinetics courses, each with something different to offer. This will allow you to attain a wide breadth of knowledge with the addition of specializing your skillset in later years. You will learn the principles of human movement, anatomy and physiology, ethics of sport, and more.
Given the flexible course options within each of our specialized degree programs, an undergraduate degree in Human Kinetics provides an excellent foundation for many rewarding careers. Our graduates have gone on to pursue a wide range of careers including:
- Athletic Therapy
- Fitness Training
- Graduate Studies in Kinesiology (Masters; PhD)
- Health Policy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Education
- Speech Therapy
- Sport Management-related careers and more!!!!
Famous HKIN Alumni
Gerry Dee: actor, comedian, physical education teacher
Ghislaine Landry: Olympic Rugby player, sports activist, top BA HKIN student in 2010
Maggie MacDonnell: winner of the Global Teacher Prize
Honourable Sean Fraser: member of parliament for Central Nova and Minister of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship