Evaluating for Equity in Dementia Care
Direct Funding and Health Equity in Dementia Care: Evaluating a New Direction in Service Delivery
Funder: Canadian Institutes of Health Research Institute of Health Services & Policy Research
Program: Quadruple Aim and Health Equity for All Catalyst Grant
Partners: Nova Scotia Department of Seniors and Long Term Care & Nova Scotia Health-Continuing Care
NPI: Dr. Katie Aubrecht
Co-PI: Dr. Christine Kelly
Co-Is: Embrett, M., Hadfield, K., Hallstrom, L., Hamilton-Hinch, B., Johnson, S., Lawrence, L., MacDonald, M., Mah, J., Marier, P., Moody, E., Pertl, M., & Sim, M.
Postdoctoral Research Associate: Dr. Emily Reid-Musson
Research Coordinator: Shala Knocton
Summary: This project will use program evaluation methods to evaluate the Supportive Care Program in Nova Scotia and consider how it addresses the Quintuple Aim of enhancing client experience, improving population health, reducing costs, improving the work life of providers, and supporting health equity for all. In evaluating the Supportive Care Program, this project will (1) co-develop a Supportive Care Program logic model to guide evaluation with a diverse stakeholder group, (2) evaluate the Supportive Care Program based on the outcomes and outputs identified in the logic model, and (3) mobilize knowledge about the ways the Supportive Care Program addresses the Quintuple Aim.
Knowledge Translation and Mobilization
- Reid-Musson, E., Aubrecht, K., Kelly, C., Embrett, M., Hallstrom, L., Hamilton-Hinch, B., Johnson, S., Knocton, S., Lawrence, L., MacDonald, M., Mah, J., Marier, P., Moody, E., & Sim, M. (2023). Participatory evaluation of a direct payment program for equity in dementia care in Nova Scotia, Canada. International Journal of Qualitative Methods, 22. https://doi.org/10.1177/16094069231197962
- Reid-Musson, E., Aubrecht, K., Dr., Knocton, S., & Kelly, C. (2023, October 24). Scoping review on dementia-specific Individualized funding for home care. https://doi.org/10.17605/OSF.IO/Z6J9C
- Knocton, S., Aubrecht, K., & Reid-Musson, E. (2023). Understanding the applicability of the Quintuple Aim in health services and policy research on dementia. Poster presentation at the Canadian Association on Gerontology annual conference. Hilton Toronto, Toronto, ON.
- Aubrecht, K., Reid-Musson, E., & Knocton, S. (2023). Justice and inclusion for people living with dementia through the lens of neurodiversity: A theoretical commentary. Oral presentation at the Canadian Association on Gerontology annual conference. Hilton Toronto, Toronto, ON.
- Knocton, S., Reid-Musson, E., & Aubrecht, K. (2023). The state of knowledge on health equity in health system improvement for community-based dementia care. Poster presentation at Northwood Care Research Symposium. Atlantica Hotel, Halifax, NS.
- Reid-Musson, E., Knocton, S., Hancock, A., Kelly, C., Lukindo, M., Hamilton-Hinch, B., & Aubrecht, K. (2023). Equity in home care. Poster presentation at Northwood Care Research Symposium. Atlantica Hotel, Halifax, NS.
- Reid-Musson, E., Aubrecht, K., Kelly, C., Embrett, M.G., Johnson, S., Macdonald, M., & Sim, M. (2023). Conditions of homecare workers’ (in)visibility in Nova Scotia: Insights from a sociology of dementia. Oral presentation at Canadian Sociological Association, York University, Toronto, ON.