A Global Community
Your World of Opportunities is Far Bigger Than Your Corner of it.
When you study at StFX, you become an exclusive member of a global community. While our campus is located in a small university town, our reach is as international as any large urban centre. Each year, StFX welcomes international students from all four corners of the globe, and our international partnerships allow StFX students to travel overseas and study abroad.
StFX is also home to the prestigious Coady Institute, which is recognized as a world-renowned centre of excellence in community-based development and leadership education.
Study abroad to expand your horizons
StFX has partnered with many universities around the world so you can have the rare opportunity to do an international exchange as part of your undergraduate degree. By studying abroad, you will expand your career opportunities and develop skillsets that will help you when you return to StFX and beyond.
- Learn about different cultures, places, and perspectives
- Learn and practice new languages
- Make friends and connections around the world
- Earn credit while living and learning abroad
- Strengthen your resumé for grad school and future employment
- Gain a deeper understanding of what it means to be a global citizen
International students are fully supported
StFX is committed to ensuring that international students have the support they need to be successful and engaged throughout their exchange. Our Office of Internationalization has many supports to help international students with living in Canada.
Some of the main support services we offer include:
- Canadian immigration document management (study permits, visas, work permits)
- Arrival services and student orientation
- General academic and social advising
- On-campus and off-campus housing support
- Social and cultural opportunities and engagement
Advocate for local and global social change
Welcome to the Coady Institute, established in 1959. This prestigious campus institute strives to build community-minded leaders who are committed to reducing poverty, improving economies, and implementing change on all levels. The Coady Institute is inspired by the Antigonish Movement that began in 1920.
This movement’s goal is to improve and strengthen communities as a whole and is guided by a number of principles, including:
- Recognizing each person’s or group’s dignity and sovereignty
- Giving people the tools to improve themselves through education
- Giving people the opportunity to study something they’re interested in
- Education should be sensitive to the groups and cultures that students exist within
- True reform involves fundamental changes in existing social and economic institutions
Join a global network of alumni
Finally, as a StFX student, you will benefit from being part of the most engaged alumni network of any university in Canada. With more than 40,000 members all over the world, you will find connections and opportunities for professional development and career advancement long after graduation.